Sunday 25 March 2012

How does your garden grow?

Now I don't want anyone to think for a minute that I am any kind of gardener.  I'm not.  Anything that occurs in my garden is usually a bit of a fluke and not at all deliberate.  I am still always overly excited when anything I've planted actually grows.

Last year I decided that it was about time that I grew some daffodils.  I love them so much.  They are so cheeky and brassy and in-your-face-it's-spring-y.  I'm always admiring them when I see them in other peoples' gardens, the park or on the grass verges along the roads but I've never had any of my own to admire.  Never had the gumption to get some bulbs and plant them at the appropriate time.  I don't know why.  It's a little bit sad to get to my forties and admit to never planting daffodils.

Anyway, I had a bit of a bulb buying frenzy in Aldi late last year and as a bit of a bulb planting novice, not to mention the paranoid notion that nothing would grow in any case, I again had a bit of a frenzy when it came to planting said bulbs.  I made no note of what went where, or even what kind of bulbs they were (other than a general "flowering" category).

Time passed and I forgot all about this little episode of bulbtastic frenzy.  Until things started to appear.  It's all bit haphazard and random but I've had soooooooo much pleasure when something new has popped out.

Here are my latest specimens and very lovely they are too!

I love this cheeky orange nosed daffy!
Four handsome daffs in a pot standing guard together
Beautiful stripy tulips.  They are simply divine
Side view of those lovely stripy tulips
I'm feeling quite the Percy Thrower right now.  I will definitely get more bulbs for next year - this time I might even attempt to have some kind of organised planting plan.... but I doubt it!

No comments: