Monday 5 November 2012

5th November

Lots happening today.  It is, of course, Bonfire Night.  There are still plenty of fireworks about but I reckon most people celebrated on Saturday.

It's the presidential elections in America.  Barrack Obama is campaigning for a second term.  It seems such a different feeling then the last election with all the economic gloom and recession that has hit us all. What was hailed as an inspiring, optimistic, historic and important result may not be repeated this time. Or it may. It's a close call.

Over here in the UK, I am simply watching it all unfold.  I'm a bit fed up of all the news programs over here asking people how disappointed they are in Obama rather than looking at what has been achieved. It's just so negative and typical of the current journalistic trend here in the UK. I don't much care for that kind of reporting although, sadly, it does seem to be the norm these days.  I don't really know anything about Mitt Romney.  He does have a silly name though.  

It's a sad state of affairs that here in Lancashire we know more about the USA presidential candidates than we do about the nominees for the upcoming local police commissioner election.  I haven't had a jot of information about who the candidates are or what they are proposing.  To be honest, I don't really see the point of all the expense of setting up a police commissioner.  Isn't the Chief Constable supposed to deal with all that kind of stuff.  Complete waste of time and public money.

Half term is over and it was my first day back at work after a nice lazy week off.  It was also my first drive home in the dark.  The clocks changed during the holidays so it was a bit of a shock to the system to be driving home in the dark again.  I really don't like it.  For some reason, the dark nights seem to encourage some extraordinary examples of complete and utter driving muppetry.  I have been cut up, tailgated, dazzled by wrongly adjusted headlights and that was before I even got a mile down the road. Drove past 2 accidents as well. I was grateful to get home.



No comments: