Wednesday 7 November 2012

I'm just a girl who can't say no

It's coming up to Christmas and the lovely people where I work are once again getting lots of bits and bobs together to fill shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child as they do every year.  I got collared in the corridor and shamed into volunteering to knit some items.  I did manage to talk them out of scarves and have agreed to make some hats instead.  I really don't think people realise just how long it takes to make just a plain scarf (no pun intended there honestly!)

I also have a knitted dress and sweater awaiting finishing off, a pair of mittens, a dolly waiting to be sewn up and stuffed, the second legwarmer of a pair, some socks for Nick, and I still keep wanting to start more things.....

And then there is the notion all us knitters have that we can knit presents for all our nearest and dearest for Christmas.  How daft are we?  When I was teaching myself how to use Microsoft Project, I decided to create a Christmas knitting project.  I dutifully worked out roughly how long it took to knit various objects, how much spare time I had, who I wanted to knit for and had a deadline of the day before the last posting day for Christmas delivery.  This was done round about the middle of October.  On completing all the necessary data entry it turned out that it was only possible to complete everything if I started knitting at the beginning of February!  Despite this, I still find myself at a very late point in the year thinking that this is something I can achieve!  When will I learn?

It is the eternal curse of the knitter.

From now on, if anyone asks me if I knit, I will stick my fingers in my ears and go la la la at the top of my voice until they go away.  Once more I am resolving to finish something before starting anything new.

No comments: